SCUBA DIVING NEWS       ::       SCUBALINX       ::       SCUBA POLL       ::       CYBER DIVER       ::       J DIVER       ::       IN-DEPTH       ::       SCUBA SEARCH

Scuba Forum, Scuba Board, Scuba Message BoardScuba Forum - The Scuba Board for Serious DiversScuba Forum :: ForumsScuba Forum :: SearchScuba Forum :: RegisterScuba Forum :: FAQScuba Forum :: RulesScuba Forum :: Recent Posts

SCUBA DIVING :: FORUMS :: EDITORIALS :: WAVE DANCER

Apples, oranges, natural disasters, dead bodies...

Ian S - Instructor/University Administrator
January 21, 2005 at 05:22:01

Over 220,000 died when they were hit by a killer tsunami.  There was no warning; many of them died before they knew what hit them. I don't see how you can blame anyone for that tragedy.

But it you want to play the blame game Teresa, there are reports that coastal mangroves were illegally cut down by local residents AND authorities did nothing about it. According to what I've been reading at CDNN, in Thailand there were no laws and no environmental regulations forbidding developers from cutting down mangroves and building hotels and dive shops right on the beach. Less responsible developers and companies did exactly that.  More responsible developers did it right and those resorts suffered no damage.

In Belize, 20 people died when a hurricane hit the country.  All of the people who died were tourists or crew who decided to remain on the Wave Dancer even though they knew a hurricane was coming.  You blame Hughes and the government of Belize.  I blame Hughes, the government of Belize and the people who decided to remain onboard the boat.

As for the officials and volunteers given the extremely difficult and gruesome task of recovering so many corpses, one can only commend them for their heroic effort to safeguard survivors from deadly diseases that could kill thousands more.

Action Divers

CDNN HEADLINE NEWS

PreviousNextUp

SPONSORED LINKS

advertise   ::   newsletter   ::   privacy   ::   notice   ::   contact us

© 1995 - 2008  CYBER DIVER SCUBA DIVING NEWS NETWORK