SCUBA DIVING NEWS       ::       SCUBALINX       ::       SCUBA POLL       ::       CYBER DIVER       ::       J DIVER       ::       IN-DEPTH       ::       SCUBA SEARCH

Scuba Forum, Scuba Board, Scuba Message BoardScuba Forum - The Scuba Board for Serious DiversScuba Forum :: ForumsScuba Forum :: SearchScuba Forum :: RegisterScuba Forum :: FAQScuba Forum :: RulesScuba Forum :: Recent Posts

SCUBA DIVING :: FORUMS :: EDITORIALS :: WAVE DANCER

Memorial plaque...

Heather Johnston - Adv Diver/Math Professor, daughter of the late Byron and Shirley Johnston
October 15, 2004 at 12:43:28

I would like to point out the following link to the Richmond Dive Club web site:

http://www.richmonddiveclub.com/memorial.htm

Here you can see pictures of all 17 deceased members of the Richmond Dive Club, and a photo of the reef ball placed by the Lynnhaven Dive Club in Virginia Beach, VA in 2002.

There is also a link on the RDC website to photos of the Richmond Dive club memorial plaque placed in Lake Rawlings, VA in July 2004:

http://www.richmonddiveclub.com/v-web/portal/cms/modules/gallery/album01

I prefer the former plaque which contains the names of the deceased. I hope to someday install a similar plaque in Belize, containing not only the names of the deceased, but also the name and owner of the boat they died on.  I'm sure Peter Hughes could use the free publicity.

I wish very much that I had ignored the advice of the United States Department of State and traveled to Belize in October 2001: to see my father's body and identify it before it was decomposed so  badly they needed dental records, to protect my mother's remains from being violated by looters who stole her plain gold wedding band (very low dollar value, very high sentimental value) while her body lay unattended on the dock,  and most of all to actually see how and where my parents died.

Next week I am going diving in Cozumel, staying in a hotel on shore of course. Sometime in the next year or two, I hope to have enough courage to visit Big Creek and Lighthouse Reef. If there are any other friends or families of the deceased who are interested in making the journey to Belize and leaving behind a memorial plaque, please let me know.

(A google search on "Byron and Shirley Johnston" will lead you to my website and contact info.)

Action Divers

CDNN HEADLINE NEWS

PreviousNextUp

SPONSORED LINKS

advertise   ::   newsletter   ::   privacy   ::   notice   ::   contact us

© 1995 - 2008  CYBER DIVER SCUBA DIVING NEWS NETWORK