SCUBA DIVING NEWS       ::       SCUBALINX       ::       SCUBA POLL       ::       CYBER DIVER       ::       J DIVER       ::       IN-DEPTH       ::       SCUBA SEARCH

Scuba Forum, Scuba Board, Scuba Message BoardScuba Forum - The Scuba Board for Serious DiversScuba Forum :: ForumsScuba Forum :: SearchScuba Forum :: RegisterScuba Forum :: FAQScuba Forum :: RulesScuba Forum :: Recent Posts

SCUBA DIVING :: FORUMS :: EDITORIALS :: WAVE DANCER

Re: Lawsuit against Hughes...

Teresa Mars - Wife of Wave Dancer victim Ray Mars
July 26, 2003 at 22:02:07

I would like to answer Nick, the friend of Aaron Stark.  The lawsuit is over, having been "settled" out of court. The only available funds for all 20 of the victims' families to split was the insurance money that was on the Wave Dancer, minus the huge amount it took for the capsized boat to be refloated. No money came from the Hughes corporation, from Peter Hughes himself (big shock, huh?), or anywhere else.

Peter Hughes had incorporated each of his ships independently of the others, so that in the case of a disaster, a lawsuit could not be brought against the other corporations for the action of one. So, the rest of his empire remains untouched.

He also has his ships flagged in other countries, where U.S. Coast Guard regulations do not apply. There is supposedly an International Merchant Marine Registry in Belize, IMMARBE, and they promised a detailed report to be released in January, 2002.  There is still no such report, and some other family members have written to the head of this organization requesting the report, or information about when or if it is ever going to be released.  They were severely chastised by the director of IMMARBE, and somewhat threatened for daring to question their inaction.

So, to answer your question, pretty much nothing has been done to get justice for the victims. And, Peter Hughes advertises his most luxurious vessel as the "new" ship in Belize.  Not a thought, or mention for the dead.

In case you have not seem my name on this site, I am the wife of Ray Mars, killed on the Wave Dancer. Notice I say "wife", not widow, because I was Ray's wife on this earth for 33 years, and I remain so. That is one thing that Peter Hughes and Phillip Martin cannot take away from me, unlike what they already did.

Dive VIP

CDNN HEADLINE NEWS

PreviousNextUp

SPONSORED LINKS

advertise   ::   newsletter   ::   privacy   ::   notice   ::   contact us

© 1995 - 2008  CYBER DIVER SCUBA DIVING NEWS NETWORK