SCUBA DIVING NEWS       ::       SCUBALINX       ::       SCUBA POLL       ::       CYBER DIVER       ::       J DIVER       ::       IN-DEPTH       ::       SCUBA SEARCH

Scuba Forum, Scuba Board, Scuba Message BoardScuba Forum - The Scuba Board for Serious DiversScuba Forum :: ForumsScuba Forum :: SearchScuba Forum :: RegisterScuba Forum :: FAQScuba Forum :: RulesScuba Forum :: Recent Posts

PAGE ONE :: FORUMS :: EDITORIALS :: PADI SCUBA DIVER

Misleading - RE: NAUI Supervision...

Beth Loesch - PADI OWSI/IT Director
April 16, 2006 at 10:40:03

The following statement from a previous post is misleading and unfairly criticizes NAUI. "I started diving as a NAUI diver and I remember the NAUI dive master telling me that they could supervise divers from the shore. They never even went into the water with new divers."

Neither NAUI or PADI allow indirect supervision (i.e. instructor out of the water) of divers who are not certified. Both PADI and NAUI allow some indirect supervision for divers in advanced training classes.

It is not clear what the author meant by "new diver" but once a diver is certified by NAUI or as a PADI Open Water Diver he/she is free to dive without supervision.

This is the critical difference: A NAUI "Scuba Diver" certification is equivalent to the PADI "Open Water Diver" certification; NAUI does not offer the equivalent of the PADI "Scuba Diver" certification. As pointed out in this article, the PADI "Scuba Diver" certification does not allow indepent diving. Divers must be accompanied by a dive master and they cannot exceed 40 ft in depth.

In my opinion this is designed for divers who started with short resort courses and wish to dive a few times on one vacation without going through full open water certification.

Of course all divers are cautioned that their training only prepares them to dive in conditions equal or better than those in which they were training. Both agencies encourage further training for divers wishing to safely increase their limits.

Beth - Current PADI Instructor, former NAUI instructor.

Dive VIP

CDNN HEADLINE NEWS

PreviousNextUp

SPONSORED LINKS

advertise   ::   newsletter   ::   privacy   ::   notice   ::   contact us

© 1995 - 2007  CYBER DIVER