SCUBA DIVING NEWS       ::       SCUBALINX       ::       SCUBA POLL       ::       CYBER DIVER       ::       J DIVER       ::       IN-DEPTH       ::       SCUBA SEARCH

Scuba Forum, Scuba Board, Scuba Message BoardScuba Forum - The Scuba Board for Serious DiversScuba Forum :: ForumsScuba Forum :: SearchScuba Forum :: RegisterScuba Forum :: FAQScuba Forum :: RulesScuba Forum :: Recent Posts

PAGE ONE :: FORUMS :: EDITORIALS :: PADI SCUBA DIVER

Is PADI brainwashing?...

Andy Collins - BSAC Advanced-OWI/Production Manager
August 19, 2005 at 12:24:50

What I find interesting is comparing the names of each qualification level from the various agencys. For example, I remember the 1st time of hearing about PADI Rescue Diver, and this give me an impression of divers leaping out of helicoptors and performing all manner of complex and skilful rescue techniques. And so i was surprised to learn that give or take a little, this qualification was roughly eqivalent to BSAC Sports Diver. In many ways, I think this is central to why many people indulge in "PADI Bashing".

It seems to me that calling a very basicly qualified diver Advanced Open Water is at best misleading and at worst dangerous. Using such a title could create in the mind of the holder, a false sense of ability and misplaced confidence in ones skills.  Unfortunately my own agency, BSAC has also began down this path. When I began Diving the BSAC equivalent of Advanced open water was know as Novice 2, a title which i felt accuratly summed up expeirence and skill level, it's now called Ocean Diver, and this to is misleading.  Lets Call a spade a spade and not a manually operated excavation enabling device.

Action Divers

CDNN HEADLINE NEWS

PreviousNextUp

SPONSORED LINKS

advertise   ::   newsletter   ::   privacy   ::   notice   ::   contact us

© 1995 - 2007  CYBER DIVER