SCUBA DIVING NEWS       ::       SCUBALINX       ::       SCUBA POLL       ::       CYBER DIVER       ::       J DIVER       ::       IN-DEPTH       ::       SCUBA SEARCH

Scuba Forum, Scuba Board, Scuba Message BoardScuba Forum - The Scuba Board for Serious DiversScuba Forum :: ForumsScuba Forum :: SearchScuba Forum :: RegisterScuba Forum :: FAQScuba Forum :: RulesScuba Forum :: Recent Posts

PAGE ONE :: FORUMS :: EDITORIALS :: PADI SCUBA DIVER

PADI Scuba Diver certification not enough but...

Lou - Scuba Diver/Sales Exec
July 8, 2005 at 13:09:03

I would have to agree that the (PADI Scuba Diver) certification is not enough for someone to properly pursue the sport.  However, it is responsible for getting my wife and I interested in pursuing the full Open Water Certification.  My story:

I first went scuba diving in a DSD program about 24 years ago. Since then, I've repeated the process several times, never taking the big step towards certification.  My wife is a water baby, but my idea of swimming has always been to stay alive when I'm in the water.

We were recently on vacation in Mexico, and, after talking to the dive staff at our hotel, we decided that we were willing to devote enough time to getting our Scuba certification, but didn't want to spend our entire vacation studying. We were lucky to have found an excellent dive center, and received our Scuba certification. They were extremely thorough, and very safety conscious. No shortcuts were taken. I even managed the 300 yard ocean swim, which is probably the longest distance I've ever swam in my life!

The new confidence that the course gave me has spurred me on, and we are about to complete the Open Water certification here at home.  I also feel comfortable doing things that I've never done before in my life (and I'm no kid). I now can dive into the pool without holding my nose, can swim underwater the length of the pool, and am working on doing laps. All due to my new-found comfort in the water.

The sport now has a new fan who is voraciously reading everything I can get my hands on pertaining to diving. We are planning a diving vacation for February in Cozumel.

The Scuba certification may not be ideal, but I definitely can see the advantages.

Action Divers

CDNN HEADLINE NEWS

PreviousNextUp

SPONSORED LINKS

advertise   ::   newsletter   ::   privacy   ::   notice   ::   contact us

© 1995 - 2007  CYBER DIVER