SCUBA DIVING NEWS       ::       SCUBALINX       ::       SCUBA POLL       ::       CYBER DIVER       ::       J DIVER       ::       IN-DEPTH       ::       SCUBA SEARCH

Scuba Forum, Scuba Board, Scuba Message BoardScuba Forum - The Scuba Board for Serious DiversScuba Forum :: ForumsScuba Forum :: SearchScuba Forum :: RegisterScuba Forum :: FAQScuba Forum :: RulesScuba Forum :: Recent Posts

PAGE ONE :: FORUMS :: EDITORIALS :: PADI SCUBA DIVER

Sorry Charlie, you're too shallow--try adding some depth...

John B - Instructor/Dive shop employee
October 23, 2004 at 20:47:32

Sorry Charlie, you're still too shallow--let's try diving a bit deeper.

I cited PADI's defective RDP dive tables to argue that a company must be held accountable for selling a defective and hazardous product to the public. Your comment that PADI recalled the defective tables underscores my point: The buck stops with PADI when they roll out defective products. The PADI RDP dive tables are defective and hazardous because of misprints; the PADI Scuba Diver course is defective and hazardous because it is based on the absurd notion that supervision is a substitute for adequate training. CDNN is right. PADI is wrong.

By the way, it is relevant to this discussion to note that PADI knew the dive tables were defective way back in June 2002 but covered up the problem until February 2003 and even then, issued a quiet little internal memo to only part of its organization rather than announcing a formal recall to the global scuba diving community. CDNN broke the story, listed PADI's memo in its recall section and sent two letters to John Cronin demanding that PADI come clean.  Thanks to CDNN, they finally did come clean but most PADI members and most divers around the world found out about the recall from CDNN, not PADI.

Sorry Charlie, PADI's eight-month cover up of a defective and hazardous product negates their assertion that they rule the dive industry because of "superior quality control".  They dominate the market because of aggressive marketing and an emphasis on quantity. That's part of the reason that if you do a search on "PADI Scuba Diver", you'll get CDNN's editorial "PADI Scuba Diver: Unsafe at any Depth" and 113,000 PADI dive shops and instructors promoting the course.  If you want to get to the top of the PADI pyramid (course director), it pays to pile up the certs.

You don't read very well Charlie.  My comment about a defective computer with faulty algorithms does not refer to PADI. You should know better--PADI does not manufacture and sell dive computers. My second example of holding a company accountable for a defective product refers to Scubapro/Uwatec, which finally recalled a defective dive computer after covering up the problem for years.

I agree with you that the PADI Divemaster course is not defective. Neither is the PADI Rescue Diver course, EFR, the PADI Advanced course nor the PADI Open Water course. I teach them all (and more) so you are way off-target with your screaming and whining about me hating and bashing PADI.  I do not oppose PADI in general.  I'm just extremely uncomfortable with some of the things they are doing, and as a long-time PADI member, I do not hesitate to express my opinions and criticisms, which you incorrectly refer to as PADI-bashing.

On a personal note, I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble communicating with your children.  But considering how often you have stumbled in this discussion, I am not at all surprised.

Action Divers

CDNN HEADLINE NEWS

PreviousNextUp

SPONSORED LINKS

advertise   ::   newsletter   ::   privacy   ::   notice   ::   contact us

© 1995 - 2007  CYBER DIVER