SCUBA DIVING NEWS       ::       SCUBALINX       ::       SCUBA POLL       ::       CYBER DIVER       ::       J DIVER       ::       IN-DEPTH       ::       SCUBA SEARCH

Scuba Forum, Scuba Board, Scuba Message BoardScuba Forum - The Scuba Board for Serious DiversScuba Forum :: ForumsScuba Forum :: SearchScuba Forum :: RegisterScuba Forum :: FAQScuba Forum :: RulesScuba Forum :: Recent Posts

PAGE ONE :: FORUMS :: EDITORIALS :: PADI SCUBA DIVER

Buying instructor licenses?...

Ken - Instructor/University Lecturer
August 16, 2004 at 19:00:23

Steve Daniel wants to point out that organizations like IANTD and PDIC (PDIC with which I am not familiar) don't allow their instructor licenses to be sold. Well he is comparing apples with oranges. I did not mention either IANTD or PDIC in my posting. I only mentioned the organizations whose instructor license are for sale that I have real knowledge of. I didn't mention IANTD or PDIC, because I don't know if their license are for sale.

However I do know: IANTD is primarily a 'technical' agency... which means that when students come to them for education, the students are generally already experienced divers with a log book and certifications to prove it. IANTD's main business is with experienced divers, not beginners who are novices to scuba.

And yes, passing a test does not ensure that the instructor is 'safe'. Of course much always depends on the Instructor's personal qualities.

The problem here is that everyone is bashing PADI, and ignoring the quality that the instructor brings to the 'classroom'.

Why does no one want to deal with the reality that there are NAUI Instructor Trainers and Course Directors out there (in Asia) who are willing to sell the instructor license for profit? ITs and CDs are supposed to be at the top of the ethical ladder........ and when they've been corrupted.... what does that mean for some of the instructors below them (there are instructors out there practicing the craft and they've not even shown they can pass the dive theory exams, much less show that they can recognize and solve problems underwater?

PADI is the only 'recreational' agency of international significance that has the balance and check of an 'external' instructor evaluation process...

And as for the PADI Scuba Diver course..... first remember all those 'resort' course out there? What kind of standards, material, and training do those require? I have witnessed a CMAS 2* instructor take resort course divers (first time in scuba) to a depth of 20 meters, the instructor holding on to the tank valves when next to the wall (a wall that dropped to over 70m), but not when over the reef (between 6-10m depth), when he stopped to take digital photos in midwater, then the divemaster took over holding the divers' tank valves..... see any potential problems there?

The thing that the PADI Scuba Diver program offers is the structure and expectations of what a student diver should have received in terms of training and education. PADI Scuba Divers DO get training, and they do get education. Furthermore, the standards for this course are very clear as to depth allowed and instructor to student ratios.

The course was never intended to replace or supplant an 'open water' diver certification. Its purpose is to provide structure, safety and educational validity to the 'resort' courses out there, and to offer recognition for student divers who can not for whatever reason finish the complete open water course.

If you want to bash the PADI Scuba Diver course, then I think the better place to start out is to trash all the unregulated, unsupported, resort courses out there. Because those courses are doing something worse, taking uncertified divers out diving under the supervision of an instructor (maybe, in asia sometimes it is a DM or lower)without any knowledge development at all, no classroom at all, no confined/pool water training at all........ its just: jump on the boat, quick intro to the gear, don the gear and in we go, remember to stay close to the instructor...

Why does no one mention that to get the PADI Scuba Diver card, the student has to have completed the first three sections the open water diver course knowledge development, including the quizzes, has completed 3 of the 5 confined water sessions required for open water diver course, and have completed dives 1 and 2 of the open water diver course?

Is this what you call an 'untrained' diver? I'd call a PADI Scuba Diver, "a diver in training".  Someone who has not completed their open water certification, which thus requires 'due' care and diligence in supervision when in the water, but at least this continuing student has more than half of the education and training required for the open water course.

And as Bob Fix gave his testimonial, he had his own personal/circumstantial reasons for stopping at the PADI Scuba Diver level, and he intends to go on, he also made it a point of the quality of instruction that he received.

Why does no one want to reply to that?

Action Divers

CDNN HEADLINE NEWS

PreviousNextUp

SPONSORED LINKS

advertise   ::   newsletter   ::   privacy   ::   notice   ::   contact us

© 1995 - 2007  CYBER DIVER