SCUBA DIVING NEWS       ::       SCUBALINX       ::       SCUBA POLL       ::       CYBER DIVER       ::       J DIVER       ::       IN-DEPTH       ::       SCUBA SEARCH

Scuba Forum, Scuba Board, Scuba Message BoardScuba Forum - The Scuba Board for Serious DiversScuba Forum :: ForumsScuba Forum :: SearchScuba Forum :: RegisterScuba Forum :: FAQScuba Forum :: RulesScuba Forum :: Recent Posts

PAGE ONE :: FORUMS :: EDITORIALS :: PADI SCUBA DIVER

PADI Scuba Diver is a defective product and should be recalled...

Dan Weber - Open Water/Accountant
June 22, 2004 at 14:52:09

I think those who respond to CDNN's editorial with comments about personal responsibility or the importance of the instructor have missed the fundamental point Suzuki is making.

The point of the editorial as I understand it is that scuba diving certification agencies must establish certain minimum entry-level requirements because scuba diving is inherently dangerous.  I fully agree with that point.  Put another dollar in and remember that the buck stops with PADI when it comes to the standards and procedures that instructors and students are required to follow during the course.

PADI designs, markets and sells a product called PADI Scuba Diver. That product is clearly defective and should be recalled.  As Suzuki and others here have pointed out, it is based on the dangerous and irresponsible notion that supervision can be a substitute for adequate training--that divers MUST defer responsibility for their own safety to a divemaster or an instructor.

No matter how you spin a scuba diving course that by design, fails to provide divers with adequate training to dive safely and independently, it simply cannot be justified. PADI is wrong to market and sell it to the general public, and I agree with CDNN: they should dump it.

Action Divers

CDNN HEADLINE NEWS

PreviousNextUp

SPONSORED LINKS

advertise   ::   newsletter   ::   privacy   ::   notice   ::   contact us

© 1995 - 2007  CYBER DIVER