Was this a scuba diving course?...
Edgar - Rescue Diver-DMC/Software Engineer
June 14, 2006 at 18:57:19
Was this an beginner course of some type? The article did not make it sound like it was, only that an instructor was on the dive. My statements below assume this lady was already certified.
My statements only apply if this If you require supervision then take a course.
1) What was the nature of failure?
2) Why didn't she drop her weight.
3) Why would the distributor be named in the suit?
4) Where was her husband and daughter, to assist....
If you look at all the dive accidents, how many occur with divers that have little experience? It does not matter how long you have been certified, it matters how often you dive. Divers who dive once a year on vacation are an accident waiting to happen.
1) An experienced diver would of dropped their weight.
2) Article did not say her regulator fail, how did she drown, oh thats right she panicked spit the reg and glupped down sea water.
Its time for lawsuit lottos of every type to stop, and for people to take responsibility for their actions and decisions. If you can't accept the risk DON'T GO INTO THE WATER.